Abolishing property tax was named as a legislative priority by the delegates of the 2016 convention. Tomorrow morning, floor votes are expected on the House floor on bills related to school finance and property tax issues. Representative Valoree Swanson’s office has filed and will continue to file amendments on every bill she can that makes it to the floor. Can you help support her efforts?
Your support is urgently needed TODAY! Help get this amendment added so we enact an RPT legislative priority!
- Find your state representative’s contact info – CLICK HERE If you already know your Representative, his or her contact information can be found HERE.
- Call your representative and ask him or her to support any amendment Rep. Swanson offers that will abolish and sunset the property tax.
The phone call takes only a minute, and it’s a great way to let your representative know what matters to you. Please call immediately – time is of the essence!
Thank you for your support of Platform Plank #175 and our legislative priority to abolish property tax.
RPT Platform Plank #175 states: “We believe the most equitable system of taxation is one based on consumption and wish to see reforms towards that end at all levels of government.” It goes on to support specific reform, including, “Abolishing property taxes, but in the interim, property taxes should be paid on the price of the property when it was initially purchased.”
The 2016 Republican Party of Texas Convention approved a legislative priority to “replace the property tax system with an alternative other than the income tax and require voter approval to increase the overall tax burden.”
Paid for by the Republican Party of Texas and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee. www.Texasgop.org
Let’s fill the House & Senate galleries with Republican activists to show support for our Party and our Platform.
Extreme far-left groups are planning to bus in paid protestors to create chaos in the chambers in an attempt to disrupt the important proceedings on the floor. But we are drawing a line in the sand to say… “Not on our watch!”
Would you be willing to pledge just one day of your time during these next 30 days to come to the Capitol with a friend and wear red to send a positive message to our legislature, and to show the news media that conservatives really do care about the issues affecting our state?
Please take the pledge today, follow the link and fill out the form to sign up for your day of action! You will receive additional information when you sign up regarding directions, parking, building maps, etc. And please… share this link on social media to help us spread the word! Together, we can make a difference for our Platform and show our Republican legislators that we have their back. Sign up today!
This report from Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick includes some very interesting data.
Tuesday, June 6, 2017
Sen. Donna Campbell Applauds Governor Abbott for Calling Special Session
to Include Pro-Life Issues, Property Tax Relief, and Annexation Reform
AUSTIN – State Senator Donna Campbell released the following statement after Governor Abbott’s press
conference calling for a special session this afternoon:
“Time ran out on a number of issues critical to Texas families and homeowners this past legislative
session. Fortunately, we have a Governor who listens to the people and has boldly provided a remedy. I
commend Governor Abbott for answering the call of Texas citizens by adding annexation reform,
property tax relief, and pro-life issues to a special legislative session. As I stated after the filibuster of the
Texas Annexation Right-to-Vote Act, this issue is not going away. Guaranteeing Texans a voice in the
annexation process will make our local governments more accountable and limit their appetite to tax,
spend, and expand with no end in sight. We have the votes to end forced annexation in Texas and the
people will ultimately be victorious.”
State Senator Donna Campbell chairs the Veteran Affairs and Border Security Committee and represents
Senate District 25, including parts of Austin and San Antonio
Tuesday, June 6, 2017
My Fellow Texas Republicans,
On behalf of Republicans across Texas, I thank Governor Greg Abbott for calling a special session to provide another opportunity to advance some of the Republican Party of Texas (RPT) Platform items left unfinished in the regular session.
Governor Abbott included in his call several items which relate to planks from the 2016 RPT Platform as noted:
- Municipal annexation reform– Plank 37: Property Rights
- Cracking down on mail-in ballot fraud– Plank 59: Fair Election Procedures
- Privacy– Plank 87: Gender Identity
- Prohibition of taxpayer funding for abortion providers– Plank 91: Funding
- School choice for special needs students– Plank 147: School Choice
- Strengthening patient protections relating to do-not-resuscitate orders– Plank 100: Patient Protection
- Property tax reform– Plank 175: Tax Burden
- Prohibition of taxpayer dollars to collect union dues– Plank 197: Right to Work
- School finance reform commission– Plank 120: Funding
- Caps on state and local spending– Plank 167: Spending Limitations
To view each platform plank in its entirety, click here.
We need your help to make sure these items are passed into law in a manner consistent with our Platform during this very brief special session. We encourage you to call your representatives right now and engage with them on these issues – find their contact info here. Also, plan to attend hearings and testify on bills during the 30-day session that begins on July 18. Check out the Lege Info section of the RPT website to learn how you can make a difference in the legislative process. Finally, stay tuned for updates, including our next webinar, “A Special Session Primer,” scheduled for June 13 at 7 PM.
I am delivering the message of our Platform to our legislators, and I am committed to working with you so your voice is heard. But I need the resources to ensure our victory, and time is short. Can you show us that you’re “all in” by joining the Grassroots Club today?
I will continue to be a strong voice for our Republican Party of Texas Platform and Priorities throughout the special session and encourage you to stay engaged with us for its duration.
Republican Party of Texas
June 6, 2017 | Austin, Texas
Governor Greg Abbott today announced a legislative special session that will begin on July 18th, 2017. In his announcement, Governor Abbott identified 20 items that will be included on the special session call.
“Considering all the successes of the 85th legislative session, we should not be where we are today,” said Governor Abbott.
A special session was entirely avoidable, and there was plenty of time for the legislature to forge compromises to avoid the time and taxpayer expense of a special session. As Governor, if I am going to call a special session, I intend to make it count.
Special session agenda items will include:
- Sunset legislation
- Teacher pay increase of $1,000
- Administrative flexibility in teacher hiring and retention practices
- School finance reform commission
- School choice for special needs students
- Property tax reform
- Caps on state and local spending
- Preventing cities from regulating what property owners do with trees on private land
- Preventing local governments from changing rules midway through construction projects
- Speeding up local government permitting process
- Municipal annexation reform
- Texting while driving preemption
- Prohibition of taxpayer dollars to collect union dues
- Prohibition of taxpayer funding for abortion providers
- Pro-life insurance reform
- Strengthening abortion reporting requirements when health complications arise
- Strengthening patient protections relating to do-not-resuscitate orders
- Cracking down on mail-in ballot fraud
- Extending maternal mortality task force